I have been one acquainted with the night. (我是暗夜的故友)
I have walked out in rain--and back in rain. (曾經在雨中外出歸來)
I have outwalked the furthest city light. (穿越過市區最偏遠的燈火)
I have looked down the saddest city lane. (見到了最令人心碎的巷子)
I have passed by the watchman on his beat (幾番和夜巡人擦身而過)
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain. (我總垂下目光 不願多說)
I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet (也曾停下腳步屏息傾聽)
When far away an interrupted cry (遠方傳出斷續的呼叫聲)
Came over houses from another street, (越過屋宇 來自另一個街頭)
But not to call me back or say good-by; (不是召喚 不在道別)
And further still at an unearthly height (遠離紅塵的蒼穹)
One luminary clock against the sky (高懸著那座光鐘)
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right. (宣稱時間沒有是非)
I have been one acquainted with the night. (而我是暗夜的故友)