I have been one acquainted with the night. 我曾經是一個與夜熟識的人
I have walked out in rain—and back in rain. 我曾走入雨中---並自雨中歸來
I have outwalked the furthest city light. 我曾走過城市最遙遠的街燈
I have looked down the saddest city lane. 我曾向城市最黯淡的小巷凝望
I have passed by the watchman on his beat. 我曾經從巡邏的守望者旁邊經過
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain. 低垂著眼睛,不願意解釋
I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet. 我曾經悄然佇立,停止腳步聲
When far away an interrupted cry. 當遠方,中斷的呼喊
Came over houses from another street. 從另一條街上的屋子傳來
But not to call me back or say good-by. 但不是呼喚我回去,或是說再見
And further still at an unearthly height. 而更遠處,自一非塵世的高度
One luminary clock against the sky. 一座發光的掛鐘懸在天空
Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right. 宣告時間既不是錯,也不是對
I have been one acquainted with the night. 我曾經是一個與夜熟識的人
●
羅伯特‧佛洛斯特(Robert Lee Frost,1874年3月26日-1963年1月29日),美國詩人,曾四度獲得普立茲獎。
他創作了許多流傳的自然詩篇如〈雪晚林邊歇馬〉(Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening)、
〈美景易逝〉(Nothing Gold Can Stay)、〈荒野〉(Desert Places)、
〈既不遠,也不深〉(Neither out Far nor in Deep)及〈未走之路〉(The Road Not Taken)等。